The Rezūm System for BPH Treatment
What is Rezūm?
Rezūm is a treatment for BPH that can be performed in a clinic or out-patient setting. Rezūm uses the stored thermal energy in water vapor (steam) to treat the extra prostate tissue that is causing symptoms such as frequency, urgency, irregular flow, weak stream, straining and getting up at night to urinate.
Inside a hand-held device, radio-frequency energy is applied to a few drops of water to create vapor (steam). The water vapor is injected into the prostate tissue that is blocking the flow of urine from the bladder, where it immediately turns back to water, releasing the energy stored in the vapor into the cell membranes. At this point, the cells are gently and immediately damaged, causing cell death. Over time, your body will absorb the treated tissue through its natural healing response.
Southland Urology has been performing the Rezūm procedure since early 2017 and has over 50 satisfied patients. Rezūm only requires local anesthesia and usually takes about 20 minutes from start to finish. Patients often see benefits after one or two weeks following the procedure.
Call Southland Urology to learn more about Rezūm or schedule your appointment online today.
Rezūm provides the following benefits:
- Potential alternative to BPH medications
- Relieves symptoms safely and effectively¹
- Provides noticeable symptom improvement within two weeks¹
- Simple in-office/out-patient therapy
- Does not require general anesthesia
- Preserves sexual and urinary functions¹
- Allows patients to return to regular activities within a few days¹
¹McVary KT, Roehrborn CG. Three-year outcomes of the prospective, randomized controlled Rezūm system study: Convective radiofrequency thermal therapy for treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms due to benign prostatic hyperplasia. Urology. 2018;
Get Started With 3 Simple Steps
1. Talk With Your Doctor
- Ask your doctor if Rezūm is a
good treatment option for you.
- Review your IPSS score with
2. Procedure Day
- Simple, minimally invasive,
in-office or out-patient therapy.
- Does not require general
3. Rezūm Your Life
- Return to regular activities
within a few days.
- BPH symptom improvement
in as soon as two weeks.