Overactive Bladder (OAB) Therapy in Orange County, CA
An overactive bladder is very common in adults. Despite this, it can have very negative effects. At Southland Urology, the board-certified urologist specialize in providing InterStim therapy to patients suffering from Overactive Bladder symptoms in Fullerton & Yorba Linda, CA. Call (714) 870-5970 to learn more about OAB and call to schedule your appointment today!
There are many ways to manage bladder control problems. Remember, if conservative treatments don’t deliver the results you need, you have more options.
Conservative treatments can help some people, but may not work very well (or at all) for others. All of these are relatively simple behavioral changes that you may already be doing.
- Diet and exercise: Changes may include decreasing your caffeine intake and getting more exercise.
- Bladder retraining: Also called biofeedback, this involves delaying going to the bathroom and sticking to a strict schedule.
- Pelvic floor strengthening: This can be accomplished through Kegel exercises, which involve repeatedly contracting and relaxing the muscles of the pelvic floor.
When lifestyle changes fail to deliver the results you want, oral medications are the next step. These medications can help control symptoms but may cause other issues.
You have to remember to take these medications every day. Some side effects can be unpleasant, such as dry mouth, blurry vision, constipation, and hypertension. Other side effects are more serious. In fact, limited study data suggests that one class of drugs for OAB (anticholinergics) may increase risk of dementia in elderly people.1 Even more important, these medications don't always work. In one survey, 72 percent of people said they stopped taking their medication after just six months.2
If conservative treatments don’t deliver the results you want, you have more options.
Medtronic Bladder Control Therapy Delivered by The InterStim™ System
- Try it during an evaluation
- Proven long-term relief3
Implanting an InterStim™ system has risks similar to any surgical procedure, including swelling, bruising, bleeding, and infection. Talk with your doctor about ways to minimize these risks. Complications can occur with the evaluation, including movement of the wire, technical problems with the device, and some temporary pain. Your doctor or nurse will provide you with the information regarding how to operate the test device, and inform you of other precautions related to the evaluation and activity restrictions.
*Medtronic Bladder Control Therapies do not treat obstructive urinary retention.
1. Gray S, Anderson M, Dublin S et al. Cumulative Use of Strong Anticholinergics and Incident Dementia. JAMA Intern Med. 2015;175(3):401-407.
2. Yeaw J, Benner J, Walt JG et al. Comparing adherence and persistence across 6 chronic medication classes. J Manag Care Pharm. 2009:15(9): 724-736.
3. Siegel S, Noblett K, Mangel J, et al. Five Year Follow-up Results of a Prospective, Multicenter Study in Overactive Bladder Subjects Treated with Sacral Neuromodulation. 2018;Volume 199(1), 229 – 236.
Schedule an Appointment for Overactive Bladder Treatment in Orange County, CA
When you schedule a consultation with Southland Urology, they will be able to individually evaluate your case and provide comprehensive treatment options that are unique to you. Call (714) 870-5970 today to schedule an appointment, or submit a request online using our secure form.